Voukolies

Voukolies is just a small village in Crete and it was my stay during my vacation there as my relative are living there.
Why I am bothering you with information that concern a small village, well, I think, is the time to reveal to you a small secret.


A beautiful "bee" that look like a flying horse make me to think how beautiful is our world. Just take a moment and look the details.
Sometimes you must have patience while you are exploring, but believe me it worths.
Many times we think that we know much or that we have seen enough but always will be something new that will make you to wonder.
ExpatsEven the smallest place or village in Greece has history, maybe it is not from Aristotle's era but from recent years, unfortunately the country has many wounds from wars and WWII left its mark on the island. Today of course you will not see anything that reminds war apart from some monuments in the memory of people who gave their life to keep the island unoccupied. 



Although the village is in Crete its economy depends upon agricultural activities and not in tourism, as you can already discover from the pictures mostly the production is oil (olive oil is basic ingredient of the mediterranean diet).

"Here the Greek army for first time with the contribution of locals fight for freedom 1897"



Every village "must" have a square.

If you look carefully at the following picture you will see that the trunk of the tree is painted white and is common practice in most villages in Greece, do you wonder why this ? have you ever seen before something similar ?




If you have any idea please comment bellow if you don't know be patient and I will write the reason soon ;) 
olive trees
you have to keep your land clean as temperatures in Crete during the summer can trigger fires.


I personally thank my uncle, my aunt and my cousin for all the nice memories and the great hospitality. Last but not least I want to thank Gloria Dagounaki for her contribution to the article with those nice photos.

A night concert a bit different from what we have get used too, This recording accomplished at 11.00 pm in one of the rivers that cross the Voukolies village in Crete island. The water it wasn't as it was before 20 years we can say that everything it goes from bad to worse in climate and we have seen that in many different areas in the world. Be alerted .
dont forget to subscribe to our newsletter!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts