Corfu Town


When I finished High School in 2008, I was lucky enough to get into the Ionian University and thus to live (and study) in one of the most beautiful Greek Islands, Corfu. 


Spianada Square in Spring



Corfu belong to the Ionian Islands and has a lovely atmosphere, which perfectly combines nature beauty with history. In the centre of Corfu you will see the Spianada Square, which I found out that is the largest square in Balkans (South-Eastern Europe) and the Liston, which was the symbol of the aristocratic society in Corfu and which is now filled with cafeterias. As a tourist, you can taste the traditional greek coffee there with a view to the Old Fortress (Paleo Frourio in greek), which was originally built by the Venetians and today houses the Public Library of Corfu (oldest library in Greece), the Historic Archives of Corfu, the Department of Music Studies, a church and a cafeteria. 


        
            Walking in a rainy Corfu Town
Old Fortress in Corfu










View from the New Fortress

The New Fortress of Corfu is situated on the hill of Saint Markos, behind the Old Port. The historical centre of Corfu lies actually between these two Fortresses (Old and New) and the view from each Fortress is unique and makes both worth visiting. The New Fortress was also built by Venetians in the 16th century and was partially destroyed during the Second World War. The English have left their marks to both Fortresses, as these used to house the British Barracks. 







If you have the chance to come to Corfu, I would highly recommend you to visit Mon Repos, too. Mon Repos is situated in Paleopolis, which used to be the ancient city of Corfu. As a student I used to go in Mon Repos Garden for running or for swimming (you see, there is a dock at the end of the small forest), but it also a historical place, as many ancient Greek temples were found there after excavations. When I first visited this place, I was left with an impression that I had just found "The Secret Garden" and every time I go there, I feel like an explorer.  

Mon Repos was originally built as a summer residence for the English Commissioner Thomas Maitland, but in 1864 was granted to King George I, which gave this name to the place. In Mon Repos villa, where also Prince Phillip (the Duke of Edinburgh) was born.




View from Kanoni

At one end of Corfu town, after Paleopolis, there is an area called Kanoni. There are some cafeterias, taverns - restaurants and a sushi bar (which opens after April) there. In this way, you can have your coffee at the top of Kanoni and enjoy this magnificent view at the same time. You will also see the so-called Pontikonisi (which in Greek means "Island of Mouses"), which in fact is a very small island with no residences. There are steps that get you from the top of Kanoni to the beach, so if you are brave enough I dare you to swim until this small island instead of visiting it with a boat (which will cost you 3 to 5 euros). 



Goodbye Corfu

Corfu is nearly empty in winter and becomes really crowded in the summer, because it's the perfect place for swimming and sunbathing.


View Larger Map Commercial uses of my work are allowed as long as my full name is mentioned and the initial text and photos are not modified. If you would like to commission a commercial based artwork, please contact me via e-mail.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.


Comments

  1. Very Nice Picture, THanks for the article

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added a video with photos and traditional folk music of Corfu here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKxOvlga2TQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice photos! Corfu sounds like the perfect place to be for summer holiday! Pontikonisi sounds like a nice little getaway too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! :) It really is! It worths the visit... Pontikonisi is too small, you can just watch it while drinking a coffee at Kanoni.

      Delete
  4. :) It is a really nice place! Only for spring or summer vacations, though, since it is really windy and rainy in winter... And don't expect to find a huge city, it is really small... But you can explore other villages and towns in the island, like Kassiopi, Mpenitses, Kavos or Palaiokastritsa... I may write about these places, too, they worth the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous that you got to live there! I haven't even visited, but I'm dying to go. How cold is it during the winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also miss living there... I am now jealous of those you are still enjoying the island!
      Well... how cold? It depends on the year... and on the island's mood! Humidity is always a problem, that's why I suggest visiting Corfu during spring or summer... But if you do like rain, you can take the risk!

      Delete
  6. This is why I love travel blogs. Until this day I had never heard of Corfu, and now I know about its weather, fun places to go and what the traditional music sounds like. The fortresses look fascinating. I would love to visit - feel like I learned something today. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts