Chalkida / Halkida/Chalkidha (Greece)


I love Chalkida (spelled Chalkidha - Χαλκίδα in greek) not only because is it a beautiful place, but mainly because it is my birthplace. I was born and grew up in this small city (about 90,000 inhabitants), which ties Evia with central Greece with an old and a modern bridge. An hour away for Athens, Chalkida is the capital of Evia (old: Euboea) and used to be called Chalkis [from the Greek word "χαλκός" (= copper, bronze)] in the ancient times. Locals call the city "Crazy Waters" because Evripos waters switch direction twice in the day, approximately every six hours. This tidal phenomenon is actually very rare and was a mystery which many astronomers and philosophers were trying to explain. It is now known that the tide is probably affected by the moon itself. (More information about this tidal phenomenon can be found here). Watching the channel of Evripos is therefore really interesting and most people combine it with a coffee at the seafront promenade. The seafront promenade lies between the "Sliding Bridge" and the "Red House" and is filled with cafeterias, restaurants and taverns. 


Chalkida was also the birthplace of many writers and poets, like Lycophron and Skarimbas. I don't know what more I can say about Chalkida, so I made a little video with photos for you, which I hope you would like. I am also open to every question concerning this city.




1:04 & 1:26 Karababa Castle
1:48 Red House
1:54 New Bridge 
2:16 Old (Sliding) Bridge

InterNations.org

Comments

Popular Posts